This is the first in a series of Pulmonary and Lung Cancer Rehab exercises we will be posting on our blog.
Here is today’s exercise
If you are stuck in the house from the rough winter we are having, like most of us here in New England, sitting around all day (especially working at the computer) can make your entire body stiff. I want to share with you a simple yet effective way to stretch and wake up your body. This fun exercise is called:
Sitting Cats and Dogs
This is a terrific whole body gentle stretching exercise that you can do sitting in a chair to help loosen your hips, low back, shoulders, upper back and tight neck.
Here are the steps:
1. Sit in a chair with your feet pointed straight ahead, hip width apart feet flat on the floor
• Your arms can hang loosely to the sides, or be placed in your lap
2. For the CAT position: Roll your hips backward to take the arch out of your lower back
3. For the DOG position: Roll your hips forward to place an arch into your low back
4. Slowly move back and forth between the Cat and Dog positions -Try not to rock
Do 10 repetitions
I hope you enjoy this gentle stretching exercise. Let me know how it worked for you and if you have any questions please leave them in the comments section below.
Have a great day!